Yes, you’ve got it right, I am not going to wear my fancy red silk dress to lounge around eating chocolate and binge watch series on Christmas-lockdown-day! So I decided to make myself something nice and comfy for this train-wreak of a holiday season.
In case you haven’t been following this is my New Year’s sewing challenge: Du fil à retordre. The only hiccup is that when I started the challenge, I asked my better half how many weeks there were to New Year’s eve. He replied 7, and I didn’t even check (blind faith in his mathematical capacities). Turns out he just said a random number. So this is the 7 out of 7 project but…not the last project (at least I think, it really depends on how much mulled wine I drink in the next days – hangover-sewing is the worst, don’t try it!).
Well, well back to the project. The pattern is from the great Tilly and the Buttons book ‘Make it Simple’, the ‘Suki’ dress. By the way, it’s a great book, there are many simple and elegant pieces and it’s really inclusive in terms of sizes and ages (no, they are not paying me to say this, I just love this independent pattern company). In the fabric suggestions, it advises using light to medium weight drapey woven fabrics, like viscose or linen, and I somehow decided that it was a good idea to make it in a knit polyester. The truth being that I wanted to make this comfy dress with either green or red velvet, couldn’t find it at my favourite shop and decided to get this green and white ribbed thing instead, hoping for the best.
And that’s where the saga of the bias binding started (and one of the reasons why I’m late posting this). May it be known that even though I live ON TOP of the biggest sewing shop in Europe… I was unable to find any interesting jersey bias binding. I was looking for something sparkly initially and then I lost hope and was just trying to find something that wasn’t neon yellow. Why haven’t they invented sparkly jersey bias binding yet ?
Anyway, after long queues of masked people, foggy glasses and getting rained on, I found this cotton tartan and decided to go with it. Yes, I know synthetic fibres should go with synthetic fibres but this was a desperate situation (and I love tartan).
To the original pattern, I added a breast pocket since I had some bias binding left and shortened the skirt, because why not! I must admit it was a really easy-peasy project but I’m satisfied with it in the end, the dress is very cosy and looks nice with thick tights. I think I will probably go and look for a piece of material of the same fabric as the bias and make a fabric belt out of it (it’s a variation of the Suki dress) to make it more fitted around the waist.
Voilà and Merry Christmas!